Ordnance 36


For the year after the Battle of Saipan until the end of WWII, massive numbers of bombs were stored in Saipan waiting to be dropped on Japan. Thousands of ordnance bunkers were built; most were nothing more than a shallow hole in the ground. When the war ended the U.S. military tried to dispose of the bombs but not all. I took this picture of one of those open-air bomb bunkers with at least twenty 500-pound live bombs in various states of decay with many more scattered around the surrounding area. I found this on the Eastern side of Nafutan Peninsula.
Back: American: 1944-present > Ordnance > Page 2

No comments:

I have lived in Saipan since 1996 and enjoy learning about the amazing history of this island. This is a collection photographs that I believe to be public domain. If you have rights to a photograph on this website and wish for me to remove it or if you would like to add a photograph to the collection, please let me know. Thank you. ewjohnson@pticom.com